In the warmer months, I absolutely love granola. It’s my go-to breakfast food. It’s so versatile, as I can have it on its own, or on top of a smoothie bowl, or with some yogurt.
Most recipes for granola, however, are laden with honey, maple syrup or some other type of sweetener. They are all well and good if you don’t have granola every day, but doesn’t help curb my sugar addiction, which is while I absolutely love the apple spiced granola recipe found in one of my favourite cookbooks is Diane Sanfilippo’s 21 Day Sugar Detox.
Since I’ve become more sensitive to apples, I’ve modified her recipe to suit my needs. You can still make it with apples if you prefer. Pears are not compliant if you are doing her program. Since I’m not, it doesn’t matter.
Depending on the size of the pears, you’ll need 2-3 for this recipe.
It’s also important to note you will be reverse juicing. Where you will be discarding the juice, and keeping only the pulp.
- 2-3 pears
- 2 cups of nuts (of your choice)
- Keep 1 cup separated
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon (or pumpkin spice)
- 2 tps vanilla extract
- 2 tbs of hemp seeds (or chia seeds)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Line a baking pan with baking paper
- Peel & de: core the pears
- In a food processor, pulse the pears until they become a chunky sauce.
- Place the pears in a pulp bag, cheesecloth or clean towel.
- Twist & squeeze the pulp to remove all the juice.
- Discard the juice and put the pear pulp into a bowl.
- Mix in the eggs and cinnamon with the pear pulp.
- Using a food processor, pulse 1 cup of the nut mix 8-10 times.
- Add the 2nd cup of nut mix and pulse for another 8-10 times.
The goal is to have some large and smaller pieces.
- Add the nut mix to the wet ingredients. Stir until combined
- Add the hemp or chia seeds
- Add the shredded coconut
- Add the sunflower seeds, stir
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared pans, spread evenly & thinly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip breaking up the granola
- Bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for approx 10 minutes before breaking it up.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will keep for up to 1 month.