Chickpeas are not paleo as they are consider a legume.
That being said if you can tolerate them, then they make a great addition to your diet.
I love chickpeas during the summer months. I find them so refreshing, especially in salad.
This Chickpea Salad makes a great side dish.
- 2 large tins chickpeas
- 3 tomatoes or a punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 small red capsicum cut into strips (you can use green or yellow if you don't have red).
- 4 spring onions, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup chopped parsley or coriander
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbls tahini
- 2 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse well.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds (if using cherry tomatoes just cut them in half)
- Dice the flesh of the tomatoes
- Mix the red onion, tomato, capsicum and spring onion in a bowl
- Add the parsley chickpeas and mint
- To make the dressing, put all the ingredients in a screw top jar with 2 tbls water, season well and shake vigorously to make a creamy liquid.
- Pour over the salad and toss.